A prayer of confession  

Posted by Denis Haack in , , ,

God, my Father.

You asked for my hands, that you might use them for your purpose. I gave them for a moment, then withdrew them, for the work was hard, inconvenient, and mundane. You asked for my mouth to speak out against injustice. I gave you a whisper that I might not be accused of being aligned with the wrong party or ideology. You asked for my eyes to see the pain of poverty. I closed them, for I did not want to see, choosing instead to believe the myth that all that really tried would be fine financially. You asked for my life, that you might work through me for your glory. I gave a small part that I might not get too involved, because I am busy.

Lord, forgive my calculated efforts to serve you—only when it is convenient for me to do so, only in those places where it is safe to do so, and only with those who make it easy to do so.

Father, forgive me, renew me, send me out as a useable instrument, that I might take seriously the meaning of the gospel.

For your Son Jesus’ sake, who withheld nothing.

Amen


Source: adapted from the Prayer of Confession in the liturgy of Trinity Presbyterian Church (Rochester, MN) on September 6, 2009.


This entry was posted at Tuesday, October 06, 2009 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment