Overheard by the lake  

Posted by Denis Haack in , , , ,


This weekend Margie and I took a day away, to be together, to talk, and be refreshed. We determined not to hurry but to enjoy the leisureliness of the time, to let things unfold quietly. Our topics of conversation were only partially determined ahead of time—including some speaking and writing we are working on—but that consumed only a portion of the day. The rest of the time we talked about whatever came up, and enjoyed times of silence together.

We drove to Minneapolis, and so began talking on the hour’s drive from Toad Hall to our first destination: Black Sheep Coffee. We ordered lattes (Margie’s was soy) and as always, found the atmosphere lovely and refreshing. Then we drove to The Museum of Russian Art to see two shows: “Concerning the Spiritual in Russian Art” and “Jewish Life in the Russian Empire: Photographs from the Museum of Ethnography, St. Petersburg, Russia.” Lovely, poignant, moving. Before having dinner at the Himalayan Restaurant (very good), we wandered over to Lake Harriet, found a bench near the water and sat in the sun.

The bench near Lake Harriet was situated between walking and biking paths, so bikes swept by just behind us and people walked or jogged just in front of where we sat. All ages were represented, some strolling leisurely, some walking dogs or pushing baby strollers, others in pairs or little groups. After sitting there for a while we realized we were hearing snatches of conversations, so I started jotting down what we could make out.

(boy) …I didn’t know if you needed a drink…

(woman) …I just don’t feel like going to work tomorrow…

(woman) …they bought a new coffee table… (woman) …and they redid the tile, and they redid the bathroom, and the hall, and it looks wonderful…

(man) …Triska! Triska! No! No!...

(woman) …I said I was definitely concerned about the conversation…

(man) …You can go boating out there on this lake? (man) Sail boating.

(woman) …so far my white sheers go well enough…

(woman) …my friend and I were starry-eyed…

(woman) …my bike is really slow. I’ve got it in the highest gear though…

(man) …my flag holder in front has created…

(woman) …I’m going to start digging…

(man) …I didn’t really feel good but I’m doing it anyway…

(man) …is that an answer? (woman) What?...

(boy) …give me my bike back, c’mon, give me my bike back…

(man) …I didn’t know if that was the trade-in value…

(woman) …my shoulders are sore, but I don’t know…

(woman) …black and red, black, red dot, red dot…

(boy) …I need to go to the bathroom (woman) Well right now we are kind of moseying…

(man) … (laughs) I should probably creep down (laughs)…

(boy) …faster, Dad…

(man) …and why is that? (woman) It’s kind of cool. No…

(man) …no, we really do (woman) I thought your mother took care of it (man) Yeah, I did too…

(man) …another alternative is to say to the group…

(girl) …zippity zippity do…

(man) …I know it is so annoying (woman) Yeah, Heather watches people…

(woman) …is she celebrating Mother’s Day? (man) Yeah, my sister knows this seedy bar…

(woman) …my cousin won’t make a dessert…

(young woman on cell phone) …so it is, like, possible, and she said, oh gosh yes, and I was like, because I told her so, and she was like, literally overwhelmed…

And that’s the news from here.

This entry was posted at Monday, May 06, 2013 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

What a lovely taste of a day out I just had with you, thanks to your willingness to share glimpses. It is a good reminder to me, as Peter and I leave to do some errands and have a drive in this beautiful English countryside (with three children in tow) that we can be purposeful about being together and making the most of embracing the beauty and uniqueness of the moments we have.

May 7, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Dawn,
It's very nice thinking of you back in the English countryside. When I heard you were headed there I thought, Yes, that sounds exactly right. Hope your day out is a good one.
Warmly
Denis

May 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

How lovely that we now have the ability to be on 3 separate continents and share part of a day. Overheard is one of my favourite past-times. Just read an article about a Kiwi who is championing Slow living. Must find more moments like this.

May 10, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Sandy:
You are another person, a friend, who understands and loves the inefficiency of grace.
May you enjoy it soon.
Denis

May 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Ha! It's amazing that a story can emerge from such limited amount of words. But I still think my favorite was "zippity do..."

May 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Post a Comment